Federations are groups of empires that band together for mutual benefit and feature a unified leadership. A federation has a single Empire as Federation president. The presidency rotates between the member empires every 10 years, with the founder of the federation being its first president. While the President controls the Federation Fleet, he has no special say in Federation External Policy. Members of a federation do not suffer from the negative border friction opinion modifier to each other and build trust to a cap of 100. A Federation's name is randomized but the president is always allowed to change the name.
Joining a Federation
An Empire joining will lose:
- The option declare War without inviting all Federation Members (and needing them to agree to the wargoals)
- The option to sign Non-Aggression Pacts and Defense Pacts.
- 20% of its Naval capacity, which is contributed to the Federation Fleet.
- 2 Influence per month.
An Empire joining will gain:
- A permanent defense pact with all Members of the Federation
- A say in Diplomatic Status changes for the Federation
- Very good diplomatic relations with all Federation Members, easily enough for specific trade agreements.
- A Large combined Fleet, with per-Empire Fleets being still so small they are unlikely to trigger Fleetpower based mechanics (like Fallen Empire Awakening)
As a rule of thumb, several fairly equally matched empires might want to form a Federation, especially in the face of aggressive, significantly larger neighbors, but it might not be the best idea for empires who are dominant in their own right. This is because as a federation member such an empire is unable to declare wars freely to further expand.
Factors in joining a federation:
- +50 Long time ally
- +50 Fanatical Befrienders
- +20 Federation Builders, Migratory Flock
- +10 Spiritual Seekers, Peaceful Traders, Democratic Crusaders
- -10 Honorbound Warriors, Ruthless Capitalists, Slaving Despots
- -20 Hegemonic Imperialists, Evangelizing Zealots, Harmonious Hierarchy
- -30 Decadent Hierarchy
- -50 Xenophobic Isolationists, Hive Mind
- Fanatical Purifiers and "Metalheads" will never join a federation
Differing war philosophies will also reduce the acceptance rate of a federation invite.
Federations feature a special joint space navy in addition to the forces of the separate member empires, under control of the current Federation President. The President designs these ships using any technology available to any member empire, and the President's empire is responsible for building and commanding the Federation Fleet. Federation Fleets cost no maintenance and use the Federation Fleet capacity, to which every member contributes with a part of their naval capacity. The Fleet can not exceed this cap.
Federation fleet uses special ship designer separates from the normal one. If you are the federation leader, note that any AI federation member's researching of a component-unlocking technology will trigger an auto-update of the federation designs, and if you created your own designs replacing the automatic spawned designs, your federation member will "add" new designs of their own, and the new designs are considered "newer" than yours. If you update your federation fleet at this time, your fleet will become their design which can be totally unreasonable.
If somehow a federation is left with only one member, the federation is deleted and the federation fleets are erased. Usually because of federation member's being conquered, liberated or subjected.
The Federation can choose to change its Diplomatic relations, but doing so requires a unanimous Vote by all Federation Members. In effect the Federation as a whole acts as a single Entity for certain Diplomacy purposes.
Instead of non-aggression pacts, federations can offer and can be asked for an associate status. Federation associates benefit from increased Trust and a +10 opinion bonus with all the federation members. This can be used as a step before joining to build trust with all members.
It is possible for Empires to be invited/ask to join a Federation.
Federation Members can not declare personal Wars, but maintains the ability to propose war to the Federation at any time. In effect all Federation Members are forcefully invited into any War Declaration and must agree with the Wargoals. See Diplomacy for details.
Throw out of Federation/Cancel Association Status
If all members but the one being target agree, a Federation Member can be excluded from the Federation. However due to the trust gains this is unlikely to work with AI Empires unless severe Transgression (like Purges) have taken place. The same way the Association Status can be canceled. Any member of the Federation or the Target of the Association Status can exit them at any time, without any need to vote. No mater how the relationship ends, a 10 Year Truce will be enforced and trust will decay per the usual rate.